Wayne County native John G. Carter was elected Sheriff of Wayne County in 2004. He took office in January 2005 and was re-elected in 2008, 2012 and 2016. Sheriff Carter attended Coastal Georgia Police Academy where he graduated with 240 hours in 1986.
Sheriff Carter was born on Sept. 23, 1950, in Jesup and is a lifelong resident of Wayne County. He attended school in Wayne County and graduated from Wayne County High School in 1969. Sheriff Carter entered the U.S. Army in 1970 and attended Army NCO school in 1971. He attended Brewton Parker College and earned Associate of Arts Degree in 1992. He is a 2009 graduate of Leadership Wayne.
Through his career he has earned various certifications including:
- Intermediate Certification
- Advanced Certification
- Jail Management
- Court security
- Driver Training ITC
- Supervisory Level I
- Supervisory Level II
- Sheriff’s Elect Academy
- National Incident Management
Sheriff Carter’s professional affiliations include:
- Georgia’s Sheriffs Association Budget and Auditing Committee
- Past President of Georgia Sheriff’s Youth Homes
- Georgia Sheriff’s Retirement Board
- Georgia Association of Christian Sheriffs
Sheriff Carter has taken an active role in community events and affairs for more than 40 years. He is a member of:
- Epworth United Methodist Church, where he currently serves as lay liturgist
- Jesup Masonic Lodge No. 112 F&A.M.
- Wayne County Chamber of Commerce
- Georgia Peace Officers Association (life member)
- Jesup Elks Lodge # 2133
- American Legion Post # 311
- V.F.W. Post No. 4583
- First Cavalry Division Association
- 7th Cavalry Association.
- FCI Jesup Community Relation Board
- Rayonier Advanced Material Community Relation Board.
- Wayne County Touchdown Club
- Recreation football and baseball coach.
Sheriff Carter has earned several awards and recognitions:
- Wayne County High Defensive Lineman of the year – 1968
- Army ATI Top trainee of Cycle
- Army ATI Academic Award
- Bronze Star
- Combat Infantrymans Badge
- Air Medal
- Army Commendation medal with Oak Leaf Cluster and V Device
- Good Conduct Medal
- National Defense Medal
- Vietnam Service Medal
- Vietnam Campaign Medal
- Jesup Jaycee Distinguished Service Award
- Jesup Jaycee Past President Award
- Coastal Georgia Police Academy Academic Award
- SAR Georgia Police Office of the Year
- Jesup Elks Lodge Past Exalted Ruler Award
Sheriff Carter is married to Marcia Hagin Carter of Lanier, Ga. They have two children, Jake (Jennifer) Carter and Jana (Robby) Smart. They have been blessed with six grandchildren, Keslyn, John Thomas, Kynlee, Alli, Danielle and Madi.