Sheriff John Carter and Safe Kids Wayne County offer the following safety tips to help ensure a safe and enjoyable prom night.
Tips for Parents
- Ask your teen about their plans including places, times and contact numbers.
- Talk to your teen about the dangers and consequences of impaired and distracted driving. Tell them to BUCKLE UP!
- Discuss with them how to handle difficult situations. This could include being offered a ride by an impaired driver, being offered alcohol, drugs, or being pressured to have sex.
- Do not rent hotel rooms for teens
- Establish a curfew, know the whereabouts of pre and post prom parties, and make sure appropriate adult supervision will be present.
Tips for Teens
- Do not feel pressured to drink, use drugs or have sex on prom night. It is ok to say no, even if others are participating.
- Do not drive impaired and do not get in a car with a driver who is impaired. Always Buckle Up!
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable or endangered, leave immediately.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and keep it with you.
- Inform your parents or guardians of your plans for the evening and provide contact information.
Prom night is one of the most exciting and memorable times in a teens life. “We at the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office want all our teens to have a safe, enjoyable prom and make it a night with only positive memories”