Sheriff John Carter, the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office and Safe Kids Wayne County hopes that everyone has had a fun and safe summer.
Back to school is an exciting and busy time of year for all of us. We ask everyone to please abide by all traffic laws and be extra cautious as the traffic volume on our roadways increases. The safety of our children is the No. 1 priority.
Please consider the following:
- Decrease speed in school zones
- Yield to pedestrians crossing the road within crosswalks
- Children under 8 are required to be in a car seat or a booster seat suitable for their height and weight
- Children under 8 whose height is less than 57 inches must ride in the backseat of a car
- Children 8 to 17 must wear a seat belt
- Children under 18 are prohibited from riding in the open bed of a pickup truck
- It is unlawful for any vehicle to pass a stopped school bus while it is loading or unloading passengers. Vehicles traveling on a highway divided by a median on the opposite side from the stopped school bus are not required to stop.
All of us at the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office wish our community a safe return to school and continued safety throughout the school year!